This is Chicken Fried Rice. Perfect for when you have left overs. You can take some leftover chicken and rice then combine that with some vegetables and you got a meal. Or you can add this as a side dish to another meal. It works both ways really. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 6 cups of steamed rice, chillled for 24 hours
- 2-3 pieces of precooked chicken, deboned and thinly sliced
- 5 pieces of green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch lengths
- 2 whole carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup of peas, cooked
- 1/2 cup of corn kernels, cooked
- 1 medium sized red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 piece of green onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled then minced
- 2 tablespoons of butter or cooking oil
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 2 eggs
- freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- With clean hands, knead the cold rice to separate the grains and remove any lumps then set it aside.
- Add the butter or cooking oil to a large pan or wok over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the minced garlic to the pan then immediately begin to stir it.
- Then add the chicken to the pan and let it cook for 1 minute while continuing to stir.
- Mix in the onions and all the vegetables except for the green onions and continue cook for another minute or two.
- Now add all the rice to the pan then stir all the ingredients together until the ingredients are well blended.
- Slowly pour the soy sauce over the ingredients in a circular motion. Don't pour it in one spot.
- Again, stir all the ingredients together to spread the soy sauce throughout the mixture.
- If you still see any lumps of rice, smash them down with your fork or spatula.
- Continue to stir the fried rice to avoid burning the rice that settles at the bottom of the pan.
- Now clear a space in the middle of the rice so the bottom of the pan is exposed.
- Drop the two eggs into the middle of the pan then scramble them as they begin to cook.
- Stir the eggs continuously as they cook.
- Once the egg is cooked, mix everything together once again.
- Now add the salt and black pepper to adjust the taste.
- When you have the flavor where you want it, sprinkle the green onions into the pan then stir it all together one last time.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the chicken fried rice to a serving dish.
- Serve the fried rice alone or as a side dish.
You can use uncooked chicken for this recipe too. Just add a few more minutes to the cooking time for the chicken before you continue to the next step. It will be fine as long as you thinly sliced the chicken as called for in the recipe.