This is Ginataang Langka (Jackfruit in Coconut Milk). This is a vegetable dish made mainly with Langka (Jackfruit) and few other ingredients. This dish can be cooked without any meat if you are vegetarian. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 1 pound of unripe langka, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 pound of shrimp
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed then peeled
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, sliced then crushed
- 3 cups of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of bagoong alamang (shrimp paste), optional
- 2 pieces of green or red chili peppers
- 1/2 cup of water
- salt to taste
- Heat a little cooking oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Saute the garlic until it turns golden brown then add the ginger, followed by onion.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil while continuously stirring.
- Now add the bagoong alamang, chillies and jackfruit.
- Pour in water and continue to stir.
- When the jackfruit is tender, add the shrimp.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the shrimp is fully cooked.
- Serve with steamed white rice.
You can substitute the shrimp with blue crabs or fried dilis if you want to try something different.