This is Beef Steak (Bistek Tagalog). Beef Steak is a dish made with onions and strips of sirloin beef slowly cooked in soy sauce, and calamansi juice. Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow.
- 2 pounds of beef sirloin, cut into 3 inch strips
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced to make rings
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed then peeled
- 1/4 cup of calamansi concentrate
- 1/2 cups of soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- cooking oil
- salt to taste
- Marinate the beef in soy sauce, lemon or calamansi, sugar and ground black pepper for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Stir fry the onion rings until they are translucent.
- Remove the onions from the pan then set them aside.
- Separate the beef from the marinade then put the marinade on a separate bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan stir fry the beef a few pieces at a time until color changes to dark brown.
- Remove the cooked beef from the pan and set it aside.
- Add the garlic to the pan and saute for a few minutes.
- Pour in the marinade and bring this to a boil.
- Add the fried beef back to the pan and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes over low heat or until meat is tender.
- Add water as needed.
- After simmering top the beef with the stir fried onion rings.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with steamed rice.