If you’re a fan of Filipino cuisine, you’ve probably heard of Tapa, a popular breakfast dish made with marinated beef. But what if you’re a vegan or simply looking for a healthier alternative? Enter Vegan Filipino Style Tapa!
This dish is a plant-based version of the traditional Tapa, made with simple and healthy ingredients that will satisfy your taste buds. The best part? You can enjoy this guilt-free dish for brunch or any meal! So, let’s dive into the recipe and experience the comforting flavors of Grandma’s cuisine with a vegan twist.
Understanding the Ingredients for Vegan Filipino-Style Tapa
Vegan Filipino Style Tapa is a plant-based version of a classic Filipino dish called Tapa, made from thinly sliced beef that is marinated, dried, and fried.
The vegan version replaces beef with meat substitutes such as soy curls or seitan, which are high in protein and low in fat.
The marinade Filipino Style Tapa combines marinade soy sauce, garlic, pineapple juice, and other spices.
The soy sauce adds saltiness, while the pineapple juice is a tenderizer, making the meat substitutes more tender and juicy. The garlic and other spices add flavor to the dish.
Vegan Filipino Style Tapa Recipe: Step-by-Step Guide
Now that you know the ingredients, let’s move on to the Vegan Filipino Style Tapa recipe.
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein (TVP), seitan, or soy curls
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Oil for frying
- Soak the soy curls or seitan in hot water for 10-15 minutes until they are rehydrated. Channel and crush out any abundance of water.
- In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, pineapple juice, garlic, and black pepper.
- Add the rehydrated soy curls or seitan to the marinade, ensuring they are fully coated. Marinate for somewhere around 30 minutes or short-term for best outcomes.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the coconut oil.
- Add the marinated soy curls or seitan to the pan and fry until browned and crispy, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with your favorite brunch sides.
With this easy-to-follow recipe, you can make a delicious and vegan-friendly version of the classic Filipino dish, tapa. Enjoy!
Tips to Make the Best Vegan Filipino Style Tapa
- Tapa is traditionally made with beef, but you can easily replace it with plant-based alternatives such as textured vegetable protein, tofu, or seitan.
- Marinating your meat substitute overnight will allow the flavors to penetrate and infuse into the meat thoroughly. Use a mixture of soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, onion, and brown sugar for a classic Filipino Tapa flavor.
- Using a non-stick pan will ensure your Tapa doesn’t stick to the bottom and cooks evenly.
- Cook your Tapa on high heat to give it that crispy, caramelized exterior.
- Cook the meat alternative in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan and ensure even cooking.
- Tapa is traditionally served with garlic fried rice and vinegar dip. The tanginess of the vinegar perfectly complements the savory flavor of the Tapa.
With these tips, you can make delicious vegan Filipino-style Tapa that will impress even the most discerning meat-eaters.
How to Serve Vegan Filipino Style Tapa for Brunch Menu?
Vegan Filipino Style Tapa can be served in many ways, making it a versatile dish perfect for brunch. Here are some ideas:
- Tapa Bowl: Serve the Vegan Filipino Style Tapa over a bed of brown rice or quinoa, topped with sliced avocado, fresh cilantro, and a drizzle of sriracha sauce.
- Tapa Tacos: Serve the Vegan Filipino Style Tapa in soft or hard taco shells, topped with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and vegan sour cream.
- Tapa Wrap: Wrap the Vegan Filipino Style Tapa in a whole wheat tortilla with fresh greens, sliced cucumbers, and a dollop of hummus or tzatziki sauce.
- Tapa Breakfast Sandwich: Serve the Vegan Filipino Style Tapa on a toasted English muffin or bagel with some vegan cream cheese, sliced tomatoes, and fresh arugula.
Health Benefits of Vegan Filipino-Style Tapa
Vegan Filipino Style Tapa is a healthy alternative to traditional Tapa, which is typically made from beef. Soy curls and seitan are high in protein and fiber, making them an excellent choice for vegetarians and vegans.
The marinade is low in fat and sugar, and using pineapple juice as a tenderizer adds a touch of sweetness without adding extra calories.
A gluten-free dish is an excellent option for those with gluten intolerance or celiac disease.
Vegan Filipino Style Tapa vs. Traditional Tapa: A Comparison
Traditional Tapa is a popular Filipino dish made from thinly sliced beef marinated in soy sauce and other spices, then dried and fried.
While delicious, it is high in saturated fat and cholesterol, making it an unhealthy choice for those looking to maintain a healthy diet.
Vegan Filipino Style Tapa, on the other hand, is a healthier and more sustainable alternative. It is made from soy curls or seitan, which are high in protein and low in fat, making it an excellent choice for vegetarians and vegans.
The marinade is made with natural ingredients, such as pineapple juice and garlic, which add flavor without excess salt or sugar.
Frequently Asked Questions about Vegan Filipino Style Tapa
Can I use other types of meat substitutes for this recipe?
You can use different meat substitutes, such as tofu, tempeh, or mushrooms.
How long can I store Vegan Filipino Style Tapa in the fridge?
You can keep the Vegan Filipino Style Tapa in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze Vegan Filipino Style Tapa?
Yes, you can freeze Vegan Filipino Style Tapa. Store it in a sealed shut compartment or more excellent pack for 2 months. Thaw out in the cooler transient preceding warming.
Vegan Filipino Style Tapa is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional Tapa. It is easy to make and can be served in many different ways, making it a versatile dish perfect for brunch. By using soy curls or seitan instead of beef, you are making a more sustainable and ethical choice that is better for your health and the planet. So why not try this recipe and enjoy a delicious and nutritious brunch with your loved ones?